Friday, June 4, 2010

Nautical Ceramic Tile Mural


It's done! Brandon School's beautiful nautical-inspired mural is complete and not a moment too soon. Every year, the 6th grade class participates in a special art project creating a mural for the beautification of the school. This was our fourth mural and already the school's interior court is looking quite grand!
I plan to compose an entire lesson plan available through download in the near future. Many people have asked about my murals and my answers always take way too long to explain. There are so many factors that go into creating a student mural. The drawing stage, clay stage, glazing, firing and most important, mounting. This mural motivated me to document each step as everything that could go wrong, did. Seriously. I was ready to pull my hair out. So my mistakes will be your gain!
I'm so proud of the student's efforts though, so I just had to show-off their work!



On a personal note, my middle child, Tate, just graduated from Junior High last night and today is the first "official" day of summer. A sense of calmness has overcome our home. It's wonderful.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my WOW!! These are simply gorgeous!Your school must LOOOOOVE you!! This is beautiful and amazing. I would love to do something like that at my school!

Tisha Smith said...

Bravo Patty!!!! This is beyond gorgeous and I'm certain many will love having the directions on a PDF download - just imagine all the beautification that schools will be getting from all the hard work you put into the mural and the instruction booklet.....I think your contributions to kids& art is amazing!

Patty Palmer said...

Thanks Tisha and Natty,
I have to admit that I do love this one. It makes a real difference (in my opinion) to the school walls...once just stucco, now art!

Phyl said...

Lovely. I look forward to seeing your updated blog come September. Meanwhile, I'd love it if you'd add me to your art links, as everyone seems to stop at your blog so it's a great stepping stone!
And thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. My dragon and I thank you! :)

Mrs. Hahn said...

Great Work!!! I love this one! What a lot of work. You must be proud and you kids I'm sure will be too!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin