Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Fall Leaves


Need a beautiful, very accessible project for first graders? This fall stencil project is perfect.
Very little prep is needed...just a short jaunt outside to clip some leaves. Make sure the leaves are fresh, not the crispy dried ones that have already fallen. Pour white tempera paint into a paper plate or plastic palette, and add reds, blues, greens and yellows to another multi-paint palette.
  1. Place a leaf and a 12 x 18 sheet of black construction paper on each child's desk/place.
  2. Put a stack of scrap paper in the middle of the table.
  3. Place one palette of white paint with appropriate number of brushes in middle of table.
  4. Demonstrate how to brush the white paint onto the "rib side" of the leaf. Be sure to coat the entire leaf. Place painted leaf carefully on black paper. Cover with a scrap and gently rub the leaf until you are sure all the paint is rubbed on.
  5. Lift up the scrap paper then peel the leaf off the black paper. Wow! The kids think this part is amazing.
  6. Repeat step 5 at least 4 times. Encourage the children to go off the edge of the page for n all-over look.
  7. After all the leaves have been stenciled on, bring out the palettes of colored paint along with some cut up sponges.
  8. Using just one sponge per child, dips sponge in colored paint and dab around leaves. Kids can use two colors, or more. Leave it up to them.
  9. Enjoy the results!

(Mrs. Erickson's class: top right: Molly, Jacob, l-r Alex, Gia and Anya)

2 comments:

Anna said...

I have used your Picasso lesson, flowers you did with my class last year (adapted to younger kids), and now I am going to use your fall leaves lesson on Monday. I tell you, what would I do without you. :-) What's a good lesson for teaching warm and cool colors with the little ones? I need to import you to Sweden. Thanks for all the ideas!!!

Holly B. said...

I used your leaf print lesson with my Kinders. They turned out awesome. Thanks so much for your great blog. I get so many ideas from you. I hope it is okay, I have used some of your lessons and posted them on my own blog.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin