Monday, April 6, 2009

Owl Paintings for Second Grade

Here is a great alternative to the Torn Paper Owl lesson that I posted last month. Using the same directed drawing lesson, draw the owl onto a piece of black paper using a white oil pastel.
Provide a palette of grays, browns, white and black tempera paint.
I demonstrate how to double-load two paints onto their brush to blend paint directly onto their paper. This is a great technique since it eliminates the time and mess of having the children blend the paint on a palette. I find when they do this, it takes them along time to find just the "right" color.
Show the kids how to make short brush strokes to imitate feathers.
Lastly, add a moon and stars.

2 comments:

Ackart said...

Your blog is fantastic!! Im a middle school teacher and found it while searching klimt lesson. I just started a blog for my class this Christmas. I love the way you have lesson plan ideas as well. I forwarded your blog to my co teacher who does the elem. Do you have your own blog for your own art?

Patty Palmer said...

Hi Trish!
Thanks so much for you lovely comments. I'm glad you found the site helpful. Funny enough, I devote my spare time to writing and have not pursued my own art. Hmmm...Mmybe some day?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin