Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Line Drawing: Graphic Squares

Here is another take on my Line Drawing Series. These graphic illustrations are perfect for fourth grade when many children love to doodle. Instead of leaving the pictures black and white, you can take it a step further and either color in with marker or add watercolor paints.

Step One: Drawing a Grid
It doesn't really matter how the kids divide up their paper, but I can tell you what's easiest. Two straight lines across the paper and two lines down. Simple. Of course, some kids will go a bit crazy adding intersecting lines, but they will figure out that this method is limiting. But more on that later...

Step Two: Drawing Shapes, Lines and Patterns
This step can either be fun or frustrating. Many kids will go to town creating their lines and patterns, but many won't. Ideas will expire after the second square, so be a good Girl Scout and be prepared. Have a plethora of squiggles and patterns available to them. You can do this in a couple of ways. Either provide them with a handy-dandy handout (obviously this is not my method or it would be included in this post) or run amok and create some of your own squiggles on the white board. Brainstorm. Have fun. Create some lousy patterns and some good ones. Need not be perfect.
Tip: Use a waterproof black marker. Sharpies are the ideal choice but if such pens aren't available, use Prismacolor markers. Expensive, but are waterproof. To avoid the waterproof problem all together, don't use watercolor paints in Step 3.


Step Three: Coloring in...
As I mentioned above, you must use a waterproof black marker if you intend to paint the patterns. If you don't, you will end up with black smears covering the paper. I subjected one such class to this unfortunate blunder, and although the kids were enthusiastic in spirit, I know it caused inner turmoil with my young artists.
But let's face it, using markers is easier and requires less set-up. So dig out your bins of markers and let the kids go at it.
This is a great activity for kids to finish up during "free time" so keep the art accessible.

Step Four: Making the Art Dramatic
To kick this piece up a notch, add strips of black constrcution paper along the straight lines. Use a glue stick and make sure the kids snip off the ends. I think it finishes the piece well, but it does take some time.

Teachers note: This art project takes longer to complete than you think. I allowed two 45-minute sessions for this project and only 25% finished the entire project. Many kids didn't want to complete it becasue it took so much time, so here's a thought. Cut your paper in half. I used a 12" x 18" piece so reduce it to 9" x 6" and you'll increase your productivity.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Love this! So simple but so effective. Thanks so much for all the ideas!

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful idea. I think you're right about the black construction paper, it really finishes of the work!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing all the ideas! I just came across your blog last week, I am homeschooler and we are in the middle of an art unit study, and your ideas are a great addition to it!

Cia Huston Dreves said...

What a great idea. In addition to being stand-alone art, the pages can be laminated for very special placemats or used as wrapping paper for Mother or Dad.

Unknown said...

After you use the watercolor markers you go over them with water? I have never used watercolor markers and didn't know of such. I know I have watercolor pencils. How do you go over the markers with water without making a mess and smearing all the colors?

Patty Palmer said...

Brannan: I had a typo. Use waterproof markers, not watercolor markers. Now the post will no doubt make more sense!

Unknown said...

Yes,thank you for responding. I got it now. I am planning on using this for my 3rd grades to include the element of line. Thanks for the awesome lesson. I love this website!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin