Friday, April 16, 2010

Fred Babb Art Project

Fred Babb's expressive colors, powerful statements and dynamic compositions makes him one of my favorite artists. Unfortunately, Fred died in 2006. I would have like to have met him. He stood for everything I believe art should be; an extension of oneself that is not necessarily taught, but understood. I try to remember this each time I walk into my classroom and face the little individuals that we often clump together as a whole. I try to remember that each child has a story. Each child has an expression.
I don't always maintain this level of thinking. Often I succumb to the pressures of classroom management and parent expectations. At times, I'm a slave to the minutes on the clock, finishing the project, encouraging the kids along.
Rushing.
Poking.
But when I browse through my collection of Fred's Art (check out his website here), he slows me down. Reminds me of why I'm here. Nudges me to think in broad terms. Tells me to remember the most important thing of all: don't let yourself be the reason kids abandon art. Be the reason why they embrace it...for life.

Here is a sampling of inspirational pieces from my third and fourth graders...

8 comments:

Natalie said...

these are awesome I love Fred Babb and have his art all over my classroom and I am wearing a t-shirt right now with his painting on it! Beautiful art and tribute to him in your blog!

Andrea said...

Where can you find Fred Babb artwork? I am looking for posters or anything to share with my kids at school... anyone have any suggestions???

Patty Palmer said...

Andrea, Check his website. I'm only familiar with his "book" which contains removable prints of many of his pieces.

Patty Palmer said...

Here's a link to Amazon which sells his book.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Your-Studio-Make-Stuff/dp/0761113924

Phyl said...

Patty, WOW! I always like your ideas, but these paintings are spectacular - the best ever! So bright, colorful, dynamic, creative,and unique! Can you please give us specifics of this project - how much time spent, what your instructions were, etc? I can't wait "steal" your lesson!

Phyl said...

After asking for more info, I just found your whole lesson posted last year. For those of us looking for images to share with kids, unfortunately his poster book is out of print and there's nothing but a very few t-shirts available at his website.
:-(

Unknown said...

Oh what a wonderful place...our son is 3 and a half...and he loves painting each and every day!!! wonderful to meet you and I love your pink bike!! I need one of those!!!

Andrea said...

I managed to order one of the poster books through a used bookseller via Amazon... thanks for the tip... eBay has a copy but it is almost $100 for a used copy. I am hoping that one day they reprint some of his work! I also emailed the Babb Studio and Julia responded indicating that there are no prints in circulation right now... only tshirts.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin