Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Upstream Salmon Art Project for Kinders

Salmon are beautiful. Period. The tangerine flesh screams yummy...accompanied by a tangy ginger sauce or on a bright blue paper! This project was inspired by the book "Wow! America" by Robert Neubecker. The illustrations in this sadly out-of-print book are engaging and fun. Just like my kinders.


To begin, start with a bright orange piece of construction paper and a black oil pastel. Draw a circle for the salmon's eye, a big round body, a tail and fins.
Then, using a small brush and white and gold metallic paint, create areas of color. Paint the eye, fins, add scales, etc.
When all the little salmon are happy, grab a pair of scissors and cut out all the fish.

Set aside the salmon and give each child a blue piece of construction paper and access to a tub of white paint. Use big arm motions to create a raging river. Glue salmon to river, step back and admire your beautiful art!

Kinder Results!






7 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

Oooh, I like this one. I like that you had them cut the warm color out and glue it onto a cool color. Very nice!!

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh love this one. We just did the "Giraffes can't dance" and they turned out great. Thanks for your sharing. We are making clay robots right now with nuts and bolts on wire arms and legs. Will post it when done.

Lori Decoite said...

loving this lesson! I will be trying this one. Thanks for sharing : )

K-Sue said...

Beautiful results! I like the idea of using "big arm motions" to draw the raging river.

Lori- funart4kids.blogspot.com said...

I love this one! Very bright!
I would love to share the blog I've started...
http://www.funart4kids.blogspot.com/
enjoy!

annie said...

I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! So many great ideas! I love seeing the finished projects from the kids. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and creativity!

Barbra The Bloggess said...

I love working with clay! You have inspired me to do more! Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin